This is hardly newsworthy but it was SUCH a demanding experience I wanted to blow off some steam and share in the turmoil.
I began looking into proper software versioning tools after Unity’s “Collab” service was essentially non-functional, and I had recruited Dom, our Programmer. It was imperative that we get this software figured out and implemented cleanly and strongly so that the work we produce in the future is not at any risk of corruption or who knows what other screwy things can happen with technology. You all know what I’m talking about.
I resolved to use git with git large file storage. A standard solution for software development versioning/collaboration needs.
At first we hit a few snags getting it to work, but it’s alright we’ve got plenty of time and it’ll simply need a good seeing to… then the funding applications, meetings, and workshops came rolling on in. Maybe not so simple…
Time passed and slowly but surely the urgency of getting the versioning software going was escalating. Dom had been on reserve for over a month and nothing was happening. Time to rip the bandaid, knuckle down, and slam out this versioning software problem.
I spent weeks… WEEKS dealing with this stupid problem. There is LITTLE record online of getting Unity to work well with git, and it was causing enigmatic problems and concerns. MY version was working fine, but whatever was going on with git was basically chewing up and spitting out my project on the other side. Completely shattered to pieces and broken in a way that was completely irreparable on the collaborators side. This was an issue that literally only I was able to address and resolve. I know what the files are in the project, I know how the project is supposed to work in the editor… Clocks ticking.
After a long week of work, I started to feel the pressure. The 2 month mark was on the horizon and I just couldn’t leave the issues any longer. I was feeling defeated, burnt out, and daunted by this problem; already considering alternatives if it didn’t work out. So I set off on Saturday evening to start methodically trying to solve every problem that was cropping up. I spent 35 hours with 4 hours sleep trying to fix the problem only to be left with little progress and a work week in front of me.
It’s taken 2 more weeks for me to finally bring this thing around. Literally as I wrote this sentence, I stopped to extend the invitation to try and start downloading the project to the team.
It has been a crushing ordeal that took a year off my life, but it marks the beginning on development collaboration. We will be able to realize more features and systems to a greater quality from here on out. That has me titillated.